DATES: June 23-July 18
Reach for the world this summer at The Academy!
What you’ll learn in a month at The Academy is approximately equal to what you would cover in a full year at school. Within each of the five language programs (Chinese, French, German, Spanish and Arabic), there are five different skill and proficiency levels for rising 8th grade to rising 12th grade students. Our proficiency levels accommodate absolute beginners to advanced learners.
The level that is right for each student will be determined by a placement exam that taken online in May prior to arrival on campus. The test measures reading, writing and speaking skills. Each level has specific goals and expectations that meet ACTFL standards for proficiency:
- Level I – Can understand simple questions, can memorize phrases and short conversations.
- Level II – Can create sentences and formulate ideas.
- Level III – Fluent enough to handle daily life tasks; an independent language learner.
- Level IV – Can discuss abstract ideas and most subjects in context with historical or social issues.
- Level V – Can read and understand literature on par with heritage speaker.
More specific information regarding the curriculum, testing procedures, qualifications, as well as goals and objectives of the program are available to review under the Curriculum section.
Jump start your summer with Middlebury! For a limited time only…Begin an Academy application and pay the program deposit before April 1st, and we’ll give you a $300 discount off your tuition balance. Enter Discount Code “APR12” when prompted on your application.